Subject: open firmware 1.0.5
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2003 03:55:18
--Apple-Mail-1--1063573392

After struggling for a couple of days, I managed to get an 8500/120 to
boot a custom-built CD. The problem, as it turned out, was that OF was
appending ";1" to all the filenames, so the command ended up looking
like:

scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD.GZ;1

The standard install CD is a hybrid, so I could "dir" it in OF. I spent
many hours cursing at the thing before building my own CD. The custom
CD was pure ISO9660, so I could "dir" it and immediately saw that OF
was appending the ";1" to all (both) of the filenames.

Once I booted the machine, everything went smoothly. I'm setting up
pkgsrc to use CVS to update as I type.

Is this a known problem, or is my 8500 just precocious? I didn't see
any mention of it in any of the install docs (this is the first 1.0.5
machine I've installed onto). Perhaps the documentation needs to be
updated?

If anyone else wants a pure ISO9660 boot-CD to use, I can put the ISO
(all 2.5 MB of it) online.

-- Erik

--Apple-Mail-1--1063573392
	name=PGP.sig