Subject: Re: st device not recognized
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Sweda <sweda@advantageit.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2003 01:12:22
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:49:40 +0200,
Manuel Bouyer rearranged the electrons to say:
>On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 01:41:51AM -0400, Sean Sweda wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> What could be causing this?  This machine is co-located, so I don't have
>> easy physical access to the machine.  Also, I don't appear to have an
>> old dmesg left around from a 1.5.2 boot.  I haven't yet tried hardwiring
>
>Do you remember if you used the siop driver, or ncr ?

The 1.5.2 kernel was using the ncr driver.  I only learned about the
siop driver when I tried to run config on my custom kernel and was
told that "ncr" was no longer a vaild device.  In any case, the tape
drive is attached to the mesh driver, so I don't think a change in the
pci scsi controller driver would make much of a difference.

>> [...]
>> scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <QUANTUM, VIKING II 4.5WSE, 5520> SCSI2 0/di
>rect fixed
>> sd0: 4350 MB, 8338 cyl, 5 head, 213 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8910423 sectors
>> sd0: sync (50.0ns offset 16), 16-bit (40.000MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing
>> sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <IBM, DNES-309170W, SA30> SCSI3 0/direct fix
>ed
>> sd1: 8748 MB, 11474 cyl, 5 head, 312 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 17916240 sectors
>> sd1: sync (50.0ns offset 16), 16-bit (40.000MB/s) transfers, tagged queueing
>> scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>> sd2 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <, , > SCSI0 0/direct fixed
>> sd2: drive offline
>
>Strange, it looks like the adapter is getting all 0 in anserws to commands
>sent to the adapter.
>Is it a narrow or wide device ?

To be honest, I really don't know.  I seem to remember reading that
the Beige G3 motherboard scsi could only do narrow.  I guess a
dmesg from a successful boot from 1.5.2 would be helpful here, I'll
see if I can manage to get physical access to the machine this
weekend.  What I remember about the tape drive is that it is a DDS-3 DAT
drive and it is the only device attached to the motherboard scsi,
probably via the standard 50 pin ribbon.

> Can you try
>scsictl sd2 identify
>scsictl sd2 tur

Sure can:

marauders /home/u2/sweda# scsictl sd2 indentify
scsictl: sd2: Device busy
marauders /home/u2/sweda# scsictl sd2 tur
scsictl: sd2: Device busy

also:

marauders /home/u2/sweda# scsictl sd2 reset
scsictl: sd2: Device busy

FWIW, I've currently unmounted the tape because I couldn't get the
machine to boot reliably with the tape inside the drive:

(current dmesg)
sd2 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <, , > SCSI0 0/direct fixed
sd2: drive offline

Sean

---
Sean Sweda