Subject: Problem: Netboot Install G3 OF2.01
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Schmid <aleric-netbsd@raptor.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/26/2003 09:32:21
I am trying to install NetBSD1.6.1 onto a G3 Minitower.  Of the four
machines I have installed NetBSD on, this is the most challenging.
Basically, every note that says "You might have to..." .  This is the
machine they were talking about;

Can't boot floppy
Can't boot from CD  (Not sure about veracity of CD, though)

So I set about to do a Netboot.  In the end I have had to;

set use-nvramrc? to false
strip out non-mac components
use a serial console
set `arp` by hand on the server.

It now boots and gets the loader but freaks out getting the kernel.  It
begins flooding the server with DHCP requests (about 30/sec) until some
buffer overflows and the server freezes.

The Host is set up as follows;

    MacPPC 9600 w/ G3
    NetBSD 1.5.2Y  (Custom kernel which has IPNAT turned ON)

    2 ethernet cards
        mc0: 10BaseT - set to real-world static IP (a.b.c.d)
        ep0: 100BaseT - set to 192.168.1.1
    DHCP listens on both cards.  It hands out a limited number of
real-world IPs to known MAC addresses and 192 subnet addresses to
unknown clients and has a fixed address (192.168.1.99) for this
netboot client.
    IP Forwarding IS ON:  ep0 forwards to mc0

Client IP is fixed at 192.168.1.99 by dhcp through ep0.  arp is set to
bind this address to the MAC address.

After the bootloader is received, I noticed a lot of collisions on the
switch between mc0 and the client.  And, by tailing the messages log on
the host I can watch the client flood the host with dhcp requestst.

I suspect the problem lies with this IP forwarding setup, but I'm not
really sure what I should do to fix it.  Do stop dhcpd from listening on
mc0?  Do I change the client address to communicate on mc0's subnet
instead of ep0?

Suggestions?

Robert Schmid