Subject: Re: Install on a Beige G3 / OF 2.4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2003 22:40:53
Follow-up....

There is great joy in this house tonight.  I got one of my Beige OF 2.4
machines to boot *without* swapping out its ROM stick.

My technique - and a few random findings:

	0. Start with sn OF 2.4 Beige G3 with IDE disk and SCSI disk installed.

	1. Swap out the ROM stick with an OF 2.0f1 ROM from
	an earlier Beige G3.

	2. Use a NetBSD 1.5.2 boot floppy, and a slightly
	tweaked 1.6.1 distro (symlink for changed kernel name)
	to install NetBSD 1.6.1 on the IDE drive.

	3. Use same technique and distro to install on a SCSI
	drive connected to the mesh SCSI.

	4. Note: do NOT try to set the time zone with the installer.
	it will hang, and result in great badness.

	5. Shutdown and swap the original OF 2.4 ROM stick back in.

	6. Using external SCSI disk, Boot into MacOS 9.1, and run
	SystemDisk 2.3.1

	7. Reboot, hold down cmd-opt-o-f and set
		load-base 600000
		real-base f00000
		auto-boot? false
		boot-device ide/disk@0,0
		boot-file

		reset-all

	8. when it comes back up to OF, type

		0 bootr

	(That's "0 bootr" CR)

Notes:

	I tried to get auto boot working.  No go.  I tried several variations,
	and none worked.

	With OF 2.0, I could install and boot (even auto-boot) the
	SCSI disk (scsi-int/sd@0:0)

	With OF 2.4, I tried setting the boot-device to scsi-int/sd@0:0 and/or
	scsi/sd@0,0 (and a few other variations)  Also, no go.

	I played with the floppy a bit with OF 2.4.  Interestingly,
	when I set the boot-device to fd:0 and did the "0 bootr",
	the little "rotating" "/|\-/|..." thing worked briefly.
	There may be hope....

In any case, once the install is done on an IDE disk, booting it in an OF 2.4
machine is pretty easy, but unforgiving if you don't follow directions. ;->

-dgl-