Subject: Re: problem netbooting iBook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/12/2003 14:06:03
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 23:06:50 +0200, Ronald van der Pol wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 19:50:44 +0200, Ronald van der Pol wrote:
>
> > I just bought an iBook and I am trying to netboot NetBSD on it.
> > It loads the ofwboot.xcf via tftp, but then it fails.
> >
> > I do:
> > 0 > boot net:0,ofwboot.xcf netbsd
>
> After some experimenting the correct command turned out to be:
> 0 > boot enet:0,ofwboot.xcf enet:/netbsd
> or
> 0 > boot enet:,ofwboot.xcf enet:/netbsd
>
> 0 > boot enet:0,ofwboot.xcf enet:0/netbsd --> does NOT work
>
> After halting NetBSD the boot prompt is shown. I notice that
> typing the commands above do not work anymore at that stage
> to boot NetBSD again.

Sorry, just want to get this in the archives for searches.

It looks like it only works when I start with a:

0 > dev enet:0

Maybe some OF prom expert can explain this?

I find netbooting (running diskless) NetBSD on the iBook quite useful.
Now I can experiment with NetBSD without having to reformat my disk.
When I am satisfied with NetBSD I can reformat and install it on my
disk.

	rvdp