Subject: Re: Install on a Beige G3 / OF 2.4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/08/2003 11:18:11
>Hi,
>
>> Once I had the install working, every time I got to the part where it tried
>> to set the time zone, the machine would hang, and i had to hard-reset it.
>> The result, each time was a corrupted root FS.  I had to start over.
>
>Why not just manually set up the machine? Boot the 1.5.2 floppy, newfs the
>local disk, ifconfig the network, ftp the sets into a temporary directory
>on the newfs'd disk, tar xzpf the sets in the root of the local disk,
>./MAKEDEV all, reboot into single user, edit rc.conf and fstab, and go?

I thought about this.  I was afraid that I'd miss something, though,
like installboot(8) to get the boot working. ;->

When I do this sort of thing, I always have to go back and puzzle
out how some of the parts work, and that takes time, so I
ended up doing the whole install several times instead. ;->

It's up and running now.  This machine is destined to replace my
current web server. (A Power Center 132 that's getting a little old...)

I *tried* to buy a rev B. Beige G3 with OF 2.0 specifically to avoid these
headaches.....

Question:  Can anyone think of anything BAD that will happen with an
OF 2.4 machine running production with an OF 2.0 ROM stick in it?
I wouldn't worry about this except that I understand that NetBSD
MacPPC keeps OF alive after boot to use some of the OF drivers.
With the "wrong" ROM, I would expect that some of this behavior would be
incorrect, no?  (but _booting_ is a big advantage...)

-dgl-