Subject: Re: Install on a Beige G3 / OF 2.4
To: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/08/2003 02:31:52
Hi,

> Once I had the install working, every time I got to the part where it tried
> to set the time zone, the machine would hang, and i had to hard-reset it.
> The result, each time was a corrupted root FS.  I had to start over.

Why not just manually set up the machine? Boot the 1.5.2 floppy, newfs the
local disk, ifconfig the network, ftp the sets into a temporary directory
on the newfs'd disk, tar xzpf the sets in the root of the local disk,
./MAKEDEV all, reboot into single user, edit rc.conf and fstab, and go?

I wish I had a Beige G3 to play with. I was able to get NetBSD working by
simply swapping out a hard drive with OS X running on it with a hard drive
with NetBSD already running. If I actually had time to document what I did
(ie, repeat it consistently), I have a feeling it'd help a lot of people.

Anyone have a Beige G3 in NYC for experimentation?

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs