Subject: ste ethernet on pm7300/200
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Mortimer <rtm1@ualberta.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/03/2003 21:47:24
So I am trying to get my D-Link DFE-530TXS 10/100 ethernet card to work
on a Powermac 7300/200 running 1.6.1 and am meeting with little
success. The card identifies itself as "D-Link DL-1002 10/100 Ethernet"
and should use the "ste" driver (Sundance Tech. ST-201 chip), which
should probably work if I am correctly reading the post on this mail
list at http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2001/07/18/0013.html .

So I added:

ste*    at pci? dev ? function ?        # Dlink 1002 10/100 Enet

to a copy of the GENERIC kernel configuration file and compiled it
successfully, but cannot get reliable performance out of the card. The
kernel picks it up and configures it at boot time:

ste0 at pci0 dev 14 function 0: D-Link DL-1002 10/100 Ethernet
ste0: interrupting at irq 24
ste0: Ethernet address 00:05:5d:07:af:d3
ukphy0 at ste0 phy 0: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy0: OUI 0x0010a1, model 0x0023, rev. 0
ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
ukphy1 at ste0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy1: OUI 0x0010a1, model 0x0023, rev. 0
ukphy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

but I cannot get it to send/receive packets reliably. Whenever I try to
send/receive packets I keep getting messages on the console saying:

ste0: Host interface error
ste0: DMA halt timed out

Trying to configure it with 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX or auto results in
intermittent connections and about 90% packet loss when I ping it from
elsewhere on the lan.

Configuring it with 10baseT or 10baseT-FDX results in exactly 50%
packet loss when I ping it. I will get alternating ping responses and
console errors. Every second packet generates a console error, while
packets 0, 2, 4, 6, ... come back to me.

The built in "mc" ethernet interface works fine unless I try to
configure the ste card with ifconfig. If I try to configure the ste
interface then the mc interface exhibits the same behaviour as the ste
interface.

Can anyone help me out here? Am I missing something in the compile, or
am I misconfiguring things? I have a feeling that the ste driver simply
does not work for this card properly on ppc, and is why it isn't
included in the generic kernel. I have posted a copy of
/var/run/dmesg.boot here:
http://www.ualberta.ca/~rtm1/netbsd.7300.dlink.txt if anyone needs to
take a look at it.

Thanks for anything,