Subject: 7500 SCSI hard drive timeout?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: ben byram-wigfield <benwiggy@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/24/2003 09:33:02
Hello there.

%% Forgive me for writing in about problems I've been having installing
NetBSD.
%% I've searched the archive, but not found anything similar.

Setup: PM 7500, 233 Mhz, 176MB. 2.1Gb SCSI hard drive on ID 0, exclusively
for NetBSD. (Second hard drive on ID 1 for MacOS.)

Okay, Open Firmware is a doddle. The floppy boots up smoothly; partitioning
also causes no problems.
Then I get a big list of the files installing, which stops prematurely with
the message "timout on mesh0".
mesh0 is something to do with the SCSI interface. So is my hard drive timing
out?
It's a standard Apple/IBM issue drive, so I'm not sure why this should be,
particularly as the drive is being written to at the time!
I'd be grateful to know if this is a problem that anyone else has
encountered, or if it's a special problem I've created for myself. (The
whole Mac is custom built from scrounged parts!)

Best wishes

Ben Byram-Wigfield