Subject: Re: Bootloader
To: Oyvin Halfdan Thuv <oyvin@oyvins.net>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/27/2003 16:20:09
On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Oyvin Halfdan Thuv wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a powerbook 1400c (no openfirmware). Currently it is impossible to boot NetBSD on this computer. Therefore
> I was wondering if it would be possible to to it the amiga way (loadbsd from amigaos), e.g. using some
> bootup-extension (a la BeOS or MkLinux).

	Someone here already hacked a version of Linux BootX to boot a
NetBSD kernel. I don't know if the changes were ever submitted and
integrated into BootX or not. The larger problems with booting this
machine come from the fact that it does not have OpenFirmware, so we would
have to fabricate a device tree for each model (may have already been done
in BootX) and that there is no NuBus glue. I honstly don't know what would
happen if you tried to boot it. Chances are it would find the processor
and probably a few of the devices that would attach to obio. You would
almost certainly have to be on a serial console with a kernel compiled for
one.

--
I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase

Any hints?

Jared Earle - http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-ports/2002/07/04/0000.html