Subject: Re: macppc boot CD query
To: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@jkmrc.uq.edu.au>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/15/2003 06:40:20
On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 02:31  AM, Ray Phillips wrote:

>> No, I think you've taken this out of context.  You also need to use
>> the mkisofs parameters that are shown in the document.  One of them
>> tells mkisofs to use the hfsmap.lst file for mapping files into the
>> Mac OS Type and Creator codes.
>
> Thanks Bob, I see now.
>
> Next questions:
>
> (1) Can these two files be created on a NeBSD/i386 machine?
>
> /usr/src/distrib/cdrom/macppc_installboot/macppcboot.raw
> /usr/src/distrib/macppc_installboot/macppc_installboot

> If so, how?  If not, how can they be created on a Mac?

Yes.  You should be able to create them on any type of system that you
are going to build the CD on.  I cross-build on i386 so I've built the
files on that system.

> (By the way, can a macppc distribution be cross built on an i386
> machine?)

Yes, I cross-build on an i386 and create a macppc bootable CD in the
process.

> (2) The Multiple Machine section in
>
> http://www.au.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html
>
> says "If you are making a bootable CD for an Open Firmware 3 macppc
> model, make sure to include -hfs -part in the parameters for mkisofs."
> in the "Create an i386 bootable image" part.  However, it doesn't say
> if these two lines from the macppc section which modify the iso file
> should be executed:
>
> ${cdrom_util}/macppc_installboot/macppc_installboot output.iso
> ${blknum} 756
> dd if=/usr/mdec/ofwboot bs=64k count=1 conv=sync >> output.iso
>
> Is it all right to do that or will it interfere with the sun and/or
> alpha boot information in the iso file?

It should be OK to do this.  It is possible to make a single CD that is
bootable on i486, macppc and sun.  I think you can also add alpha but I
haven't tried.

If you want a script that does this using the cross-build you can have
the one I use:

    ftp://murphy.dyndns.org/pub/cross_build

-bob