Subject: Re: Memory-testing utilities?
To: Kevin Mudrick <kevin@furhurts.com>
From: John Gordon <john_94501@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/04/2003 14:46:43
Hello,

> Yes, ssh over ethernet.. well, from one machine to the netbsd box, on
> the same network (same hub).  I notice, lots of times, that using serial
> connection, if I type too much or too quickly (like, scrolling through
> something, hitting the one of the arrow keys repeatedly), it locks, but
> I am usually able to still ssh in.

Yep, that's what I see - I don't use the console any more apart from booting
from the OFW prompt (I'm using the machine as target system for a project I'm
working on, so it gets to boot lots of new kernels ;-)

> > I don't see it when using the network though (using ssh). When it is
> > locked up, have you tried pinging its ethernet network address from
> > another machine? In my case that was the clue that the thing was still
> > running and it was just the serial link that was down.
>
> Yeah.. in this particular instance, the ssh connection went down, and
> pinging its ip address got no response, so I'm assuming the whole
> machine locked up.

Sounds like you have two problems. I certainly haven't seen this one on my box
though. Was the box doing anything else at the time (lots of disk operations,
running large apps that cause swapping, other network traffic)?

Good luck tracking it down,
John...

=====
Rate Corporate America at http://exec-ratings.bluedonkey.org