Subject: Re: canonize the bootpath
To: Daniel Lamblin <daniell@trillian.beachbash.net>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/01/2003 10:17:17
On tirsdag, apr 1, 2003, at 07:47 Europe/Copenhagen, Daniel Lamblin
wrote:

> Is there some way i could change the formatting of my bootfile and
> still
> have it work, plus get the root device to be detected?
> Also, I read the man page on kernel options (for building) but didn't
> see
> the one aluded to which sets a default root device.  Could someone
> tell me
> what should be written in the config file to define a root dev of wd0a?

Check
	http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#dash-a

#config         netbsd  root on ? type ? #to automatically detect root
device
config          netbsd  root on sd0 type ffs #for SCSI disk
#config         netbsd  root on wd0 type ffs #for IDE disk
#config         netbsd  root on ? type nfs #for netboot

> Acording to ticket 20260 there's a suggestion for how to
> get the boot path to tell the kernel where the root device is.
>
> This is one I'm really hoping should be worked out for 1.6.1
>
> I tried this method, being as it seemed to make sense... well okay, I
> have
> no idead why they whole function is so long but... I tried it.
>
> And it did not change the behavior. [which is to ask for the root
> partition/device]
>
> My boot path is something kinda crazy (on an 8500) and looks like:
> pci1/ACARD,6260/disk@2,/netbsd
>
> Notice that there's 2 commas and no leading slash (it wouldn't work
> with
> one since pci1 is an alias to /bandit/something  I guess I could use
> that
> if need be, idealy though anything legal should work.

You don't need a leading slash if you're using a devalias (i.e. pci1).

> my root device turns out to be wd0a

/Daniel