Subject: Re: Don't do this at home.
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: The Black Hacker <blackye@break.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/29/2003 12:59:15
On Wednesday, Jan 8, 2003, at 03:59 Europe/Rome, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> That's kind of what I just said, yeah.  I didn't see the note when I
> skimmed the install instructions though.  So, even if I didn't have an
> OF password set it still would have died?

Yes. I cooked 2 different machines that way. And I never used
the OF password stuff. The good part is that Apple's repair centers
don't understand what is going on and just replace the motherboard
on warranty. *evilgrin*

I think that is an extremely stupid thing from Apple not having a
fail-safe boot switch or a method to reflash a corrupted firmware
(what I did a zillion times on an AlphaPC motherboard while
trying to hack the firmware to have it boot off an unrecognized
scsi controller: move the switch and either slip a firmware floppy
in or feed in the firmware through a special serial port on the
motherboard..).

> My problem is I've done enough with OF 1 machines that I *think* *I
> know what I'm doing.  With apologies to MW (who's done a wonderful
> job, really!) the install instructions are really awfully long.  I
> don't grok the visual hierarchy of the outline and I find myself
> skipping over whole sections that I want to see.

I think that a "DON'T DO THIS ON AN OF3 MACHINE" note everywhere
the word "load-base" or "real-base" appears in the document would
help a lot...

> Gee, can I run the MAKEDEV script under OSX?  If so that would
> eliminate the need to run even the INSTALL kernel to install NetBSD on
> an OSX machine.  Just tried it and no, not even close.  Guess that was
> too much to hope for.

No, it doesn't work, or at least I never succeeded to.

Ciao,

A.