Subject: Problems under heavy network load on macppc
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/24/2003 14:55:59
Hello,

Has anyone seen problems with macppc machines, both under release and
current, with high system loads under moderate network traffic and
occasional hangs under heavy network traffic?

I'm experiencing much more system load than expected when serving a
moderate amount of static content, and in the last two months my machine
has hung three times when serving aroung 15-20 requests a second.

Unfortunately, that machine cannot be used for debugging, as it is
colocated; I set up another macppc machine for testing, and can reliably
get it to crash by just running ab (apache bench) against it with a
regular current or release snapshot with stock Apache 2. However, I'm
having difficulty getting the kernel debugger to work over the serial
console.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs