Subject: Re: mac <-> pc serial cable for OFW serial console?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/24/2003 09:49:22
OK, I finally sat down in front of my powermac 7300, dropped into OFW,
and did the following:

  setenv output-device ttya
  setenv input-devicee ttya
  reset-all

Then I tried to connect up my Thinkpad to the 7300's ttya (this is the
DIN8 connector in the back with a modem icon, right?).

I'm connecting to it with a DIN8 <-> DB9 adapter, then a null modem
cable into the serial port on my Thinkpad.  I've verified that the
Thinkpad serial port is active and working by tranferring some files
back and forth between the Thinkpad and my HP48.

I'm trying to use kermit in an xterm window on the Thinkpad as the
serial console to boot the 7300.  But when I enter connect mode, and
then boot up the 7300, I don't see any output at all in the kermit
window.  Hitting return, sending a break, etc., all seem to have no
effect. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

-russ