Subject: Re: Off topic macppc hardware help
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/14/2003 22:03:36
Hi,

> > I guess the 7300 is like the 7200 in that it doesn't have the CPU on
> > a daughter card.  Before going crazy, have you looked to see if the
> > MB has any vestiges of the plug for the daughter card in the traces?
> > I might optimistically hope you just need to buy the right connector
> > and solder it on (and desolder the original CPU).

> It appears (according to everymac.com) that the 7300's CPU _is_ on a
> daughtercard.  If their database is wrong, I'm sure John can tell us.  ;)

Yes, it's on a daughtercard. It currently has a 200 MHz 604e.

> If this is the case, do you have reason to believe that just plugging the
> CPU card into the 7300 won't work?  IIRC, the daughtercard CPUs were mostly
> interchangable.  I've used at least 4 or 5 different random hand-me-down CPU
> cards in my 7500 and it never had a power problem that I could tell...

The only exception to the daughtercard rules were the 300, 350, and 400
MHz 604ev which Apple shipped. They include their own 1 meg L2 cache
running at 100 MHz (which is how Apple circumvented the bus times 4 speed
limit), which is on the daughtercard, not the motherboard.

Because the 604ev is a smaller mask than the 604e, it could go faster,
draw less power, and therefore it took a different voltage. While the 8600
and 9600 which came with the 604ev can take other CPU cards, the 604ev
cards won't work in a standard older motherboard. However, the only
difference between the motherboards, I am told, is that it makes a
different voltage available to the CPU (perhaps in addition to the 3.3
volts), and that it does not come with a socket for 50 MHz motherboard L2
cache.

So, if someone has some Apple docs which talk about the 604ev systems,
perhaps the pinout of the card connector, maybe I can manage to set up a
regulator in line to provide what it needs and use the 350 MHz with 1 meg
of L2 in place of the 200 MHz.

Thanks,
John Klos