Subject: Re: Off topic macppc hardware help
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/14/2003 18:53:33
on 3/14/03 6:00 PM, Henry B. Hotz at hotz@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:

> Come now it's not as far off topic as the guy who wanted a MacOS X
> terminal program.
>
> At 7:35 PM -0500 3/14/03, John Klos wrote:
>> Second, I'm hoping that someone might have a clue about the difference in
>> the power needs of a Mach5 Apple High Performance CPU card. I've upgraded
>> my PowerMac 9600/350 with a G4, and I'm interested in using the 350 MHz
>> 604ev in my older 7300. I'm not afraid of building a regulator circuit (or
>> just using an integrated regulator), but I need a little more information
>> about what it needs and where it needs it.
>
> I guess the 7300 is like the 7200 in that it doesn't have the CPU on
> a daughter card.  Before going crazy, have you looked to see if the
> MB has any vestiges of the plug for the daughter card in the traces?
> I might optimistically hope you just need to buy the right connector
> and solder it on (and desolder the original CPU).

It appears (according to everymac.com) that the 7300's CPU _is_ on a
daughtercard.  If their database is wrong, I'm sure John can tell us.  ;)

If this is the case, do you have reason to believe that just plugging the
CPU card into the 7300 won't work?  IIRC, the daughtercard CPUs were mostly
interchangable.  I've used at least 4 or 5 different random hand-me-down CPU
cards in my 7500 and it never had a power problem that I could tell...

-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                         monroe@pobox.com