Subject: Re: SCSI problems
To: Nicholas Ash <portlanddenver19@eudoramail.com>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/12/2003 21:54:12
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Nicholas Ash wrote:

> I'm trying to complete set up of NetBSD 1.6 on a stock Power Center Pro
> 180 (32MB RAM, 2GB HD, 16X CD, Zip drive...) but I have run into a
> little trouble. First, everything was working fine on the SCSI chain
> when run under Mac OS 7.6.1 but after installation on the first boot I
> kept getting this after exiting single user mode:
>
> esp0: illegal command: 0xc2 (state 2, phase 3, prevphase 1)
> esp0: SCSI bus reset
>
> I noticed that the CDROM was being accessed when these warnings
> appeared. Simple enough, I removed the drive from the chain and problem
> solved. Then I tried to install additional packages from the zip drive
> and whenever I started pkg_add these warnings would appear again...
>
> My SCSI cha in is HD@0 and Zip@5 w/termination on (I tried w/
> termination off, same problem). esp0 must be the SCSI controller, is the
> motherboard going to pot? Otherwise everything appears to be working.

	ZIP drives are the devil. If you must use one, I suggest you
compile a custom kernel with the NOSYNCCACHE and NOSYNC quirks in the SCSI
device table. I've been debating submitting a PR for this, but I have a
fairly early model ZIP drive and I don't know if it will affect anyone
else. FWIW, the firmware I have is D.09. Right now preformance is
rediculously slow. It seems to run three times faster in async mode than
in sync mode.

	you might try the same quirks on your CDROM and see if it makes it
happier.