Subject: PowerBase 180 boot problems..
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jesse Peterson <jpeterson275@attbi.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/10/2003 19:17:30
I've got netbsd-1.6 release on this machine fine.  Once I got working
install media, everything installed like a charm.

Now I want it to boot up automagically. The boot-device works greate
provided you reset the machine once.  Now, I'm fairly certain my disk is
just spinning up too quickly, thus (from the FAQ):

This boot-command:
0 > setenv boot-command catch 5000 ms boot
Doesn't work at all.  It always gives a "DEFAULT CATCH" after the 5000 ms.

This boot-command:
0 > boot-command begin ['] boot catch 999 ms cr again
Simply executes "cr" every 999 ms.  It never actualy executes the boot
statement (or does, but it doesn't actualy boot).  It will work after
the reset button is pressed.

This nvram patch (and matching boot-command):
: wBoot
begin
  boot-device ['] $boot catch drop
  ." -Waiting for boot-device" cr
  d# 500 ms
key? until
;
Does the same as above.  It too will work after a soft reset, though.

I can only assume that netbsd doesn't support automatically booting from
this machine.  Is this true?  Somebody point me to the light!