Subject: Re: Macs faults
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/05/2003 16:05:31
At 3:41 PM -0500 3/5/03, der Mouse wrote:
>  > My understanding is that the problem affected most 68K Macs, and that
>>  it was caused by the clock interrupt having the lowest priority
>>  rather than (as would be usual) the highest.
>
>I have a IIci which suffers from _something_ of the sort.  When sitting
>idle it keeps moderately good time, but put it under any sort of load
>and it starts losing ticks like mad.

No "something" about it.  That's the problem.  Time interrupts are
blocked during any disk or Ethernet access.  MacOS works around the
problem by rereading the RTC after every floppy access, and elsewhere
as well probably.

Pity the RTC only has, like, 1 second readout accuracy.  Otherwise
we'd have made the RTC the system clock and solved the problem that
way.