Subject: Re: Macs faults
To: Derek Peschel <dpeschel@eskimo.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/05/2003 14:01:30
Hi,

> > RAM. Once we know how to read that value, we can correct for the this
> > problem without having to compile in a value like RTC_OFFSET.
>
> How would that correction work?  i.e., is there a device driver or do you
> have to change the core kernel sources?  And what about the possibility of
> handling daylight savings without rebooting?

I think you are mixing problems. If you set the timezone under MacOS, then
set the date and time, the hardware clock will have UTC in it. NetBSD will
load and always show the correct time. So will OS X.

However, if you fail to set the timezone under MacOS, the default will be
Cupertino, and therefore 8 hours off of UTC.

Also, one never needs to reboot to set the time. If in doubt, run ntpdate
as root. You may even use my stratum 2 server as often as you like:

ntpdate -v reva.sixgirls.org

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs