Subject: Re: badblock check.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/03/2003 10:16:40
--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 11:43:47AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> Well, there's a useful little utility called sdd that I use on Suns for
> such purposes; while I've never tried it on my 4400, I see no
> particular reason to think it wouldn't work.
>=20
> If you have trouble finding it drop me a line off-list and we can
> arrange to get you a copy of what I've got.

If by sdd you mean Schily's implementation of dd(1), it's readily
available here:

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/sdd/

and has a freshmeat page here:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/sdd/?topic_id=3D19%2C138%2C150%2C253%2C861

We've got a package for Schily's tar implementation at
pkgsrc/archivers/star; since his sdd has many of the same speed
enhancements, it would seem reasonable to have it in pkgsrc too.

(Note that I'm not one of those people who'd go for replacing our
now-pax(1)-linked tar(1) with star; it's fast, but it behaves in a
somewhat non-standard way with multi-volume backups. That's fine if
you know what you're getting, but it'd be a big change from either
GNU tar or pax(1), which our user community is used to.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--Bu8it7iiRSEf40bY