Subject: Re: once again: booting probs on g3 beige ofw 2.0f1
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Juergen Gillmann <juergen.gillmann@s-f.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/01/2003 23:15:07
hi erik,

> I didn't think partition 0 schemes worked with the newer macs. Have you
> gone into open firmware and verified that ofwboot.xcf is really on
> partition 0 and readable from OF? I've installed NetBSD 1.5 onto an
> iMac before, and usually it ended up being more like "boot
> hd:7,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd", or something to that effect (with hd being
> an alias for "ide0/disk@0" or something).
>
> Try booting into OF and doing dir ide0/disk@0:0. You will probably get
> an error, which is why I don't think it's working. ofwboot.xcf needs to
> be on a valid HFS partition that is readable from open firmware, and I
> don't think partition 0 is.

right, i got an error message, but the boot floppy isn't DIRable either and
boots fine... (btw: when booting via boot floppy, i get the same error
messages 'netbsd bad partition number, using 0' and 'no active package', but
the following number isn't 3846528, but 3720996 - and it just goes on
booting... if the floppy filesystem - which isn't hfs - is the same as the
hard disk's (is it??), of should be able to boot from hd too, shouldn't
it?).

j.