Subject: RE: boot floppy
To: Ciarcinski, Adam (ISS Brussels) <ACiarcinski@iss.net>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/24/2003 11:59:37
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Ciarcinski, Adam (ISS Brussels) wrote:

> > Hi   I can't put your boot.fs on a single floppy. It is 1,474,560
> > (download today from your ftp site) and there is only 1,457,664 bytes
> > available on the floppy. I have tried formatting a couple of

	boot.fs is a raw floppy image, if you're going to use that you
need Suntar on a mac (running classic MacOS), rawwritewin on a Windows
machine or dd under unix. If you want to format the disk and copy files
over to it, you need to get OFWBOOT.XCF and netbsd.INSTALL.gz from
macppc/binary/kernel, not from macppc/installation/floppy. I suggest you
go with the first option if you can and use rawwritewin and boot.fs

> > (non-bootable) SCSI CD-ROM, so I need the boot floppy. I've tried &
> > failed booting from a Zip disk.
> > Thanks, John.

	You need to write boot.fs with one of the aformationed tools
(suntar, rawwritewin or with dd if=boot.fs of=/dev/rsd0a bs=512, assuming
your ZIP drive is sd0 running netbsd.)

> It's the raw-disk-floppy-image, it must fit.
> Have you tried:
> dd if=boot.fs of=/dev/rfd0b bs=36k
> (or another raw-floppy-device instead of /dev/rfd0b if you
>  are under another OS)?
> I don't know what device shows up on OSX, since I don't
> have a floppy drive in my Mac. ~:|

	It wouldn't matter, there is no floppy disk driver included in
OS-X.

--
I'm trying to port NetBSD to my cup of tea, but it keeps kernel panicking
on refill. This is odd, because I ported it to my toaster and my bookcase

Any hints?

Jared Earle - http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-ports/2002/07/04/0000.html