Subject: Re: Unable to Install onto a PowerCenter 132 - I/O error reading
To: Dave Bate <dave@RenegadeRhythms.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/19/2003 18:47:04
> esp0: illegal command: 0xc2 (state 2, phase 3, prevphase1)
> esp0: SCSI bus reset
> sd0: waiting for pack to spin up....
> esp0: illegal command: 0xc2 (state 2, phase 3, prevphase1)
> esp0: SCSI bus reset
> sd0: waiting for pack to spin up....
> sd0: I/O error reading block zero

I've seen this, too. 1.5.3 will work fine on my PowerWhatever, but 1.6
won't see anything on the SCSI bus properly except the tape drive (and I
haven't even tested that yet).

To date, I've been booting the kernel off of the SCSI drive and mounting
filesystems off of an IDE drive on some random IDE card. A pain, to say
the least, because if I want to try a new kernel (this is a development
machine, after all), I have to scp it elsewhere, reboot into 1.5.3,
scp the new kernel back, and reboot again...

Does anyone know how support for this chip got broken?

John Klos