Subject: Re: UMAX C500/C600 603ev -> G3 upgrade?
To: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2003 20:40:30
Hi,

> 	Does anyone happen to know if the 603ev in the ZIF socket in these
> machines is pin compatible with a G3 (and if I can swap them out without
> the risk of under/over powering the CPU and/or frying something else)?

Nope. Some companies sold processor upgrades for the ZIF sockets ages ago,
but I doubt they're findable now. Maybe eBay.

On the other hand, L2 cache upgrades do work, and NetBSD knows how to turn
on the L2 cache on those.

> 	I'm deep in the throes of trying to get NetBSD to boot on a C500
> right now, and the thought crossed my mind.

I don't think that changing the CPU will make the job any easier. But it
may make the job more satisfying when it's done.

John Klos
--
It [Microsoft's security ad on the NY Times editorial page] simply seeks
to pass responsibility from a corporation with $40 billion in the bank