Subject: Re: PowerBase Problems
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2003 15:30:55
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Louis  Guillaume wrote:

> 0 > boot fd:0
> OF_open bootpath=fd
> read stage 2 blocks:0READ TIMEOUT1READ TIMEOUT 1234567. done!
> starting stage 2...
> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700 at  %SRR0: 00E40020  %SRR1:00083070
>   ok
> 0 > boot fd:0 CLAIM failed
>   ok

	I have never seen that, you may have a questionable floppy drive,
or your boot floppy images were not downloaded in binary mode or the disks
are bad. What method did you use to write the disks?

> I also have ofwboot.xcf and netbsd.gz on the startup HFS partition (no.
> 5 according to pdisk), scsi 0,0. Here's what happens...

	The version of OpenFirmware you have does not permit you to boot
from an HFS partition, only ISO9660 and MSDOS or raw LBA mode. No one has
yet tried to make an MSDOS file system on the hard disk and try booting
from it.

> reference on any device to a partition gives me that "bad partition
> number using 0" message.

	bad partition number using 0 is not bad in itself, it's attempting
to boot using raw LBA rather than any kind of file system access.

> I'll try with a dos floppy next. Any idea how to create one of these
> from a NetBSD or Linux Machine?

	Format MSDOS floppy, copy OFWBOOT.XCF and netbsd.INSTALL or
whatever the kernel is onto it. boot fd:0,OFWBOOT.XCF (case sensitive)
I've had success booting from an ISO9660 CDROM with a PowerCenter and
PowerCenter Pro, I have not yet been able to mess with a PowerBase unit.

hope this is of some help.