Subject: PowerBase Problems
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2003 11:46:11
Hello,

I'm trying to get an old PowerBase 180 going. I've gotten to the open
firmware prompt. That all went by the book. The problem comes when
trying to access the SCSI bus - actually no boot method I've tried works.

If I try to boot from a netbsd floppy...

0 > boot fd:0
OF_open bootpath=fd
read stage 2 blocks:0READ TIMEOUT1READ TIMEOUT 1234567. done!
starting stage 2...
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700 at  %SRR0: 00E40020  %SRR1:00083070
  ok
0 > boot fd:0 CLAIM failed
  ok

I also have ofwboot.xcf and netbsd.gz on the startup HFS partition (no.
5 according to pdisk), scsi 0,0. Here's what happens...

0 > boot scsi/sd@0:4,\ofwboot.xcf scsi/sd@0:4,\netbsd.gz
bad partition number,using 0no bootable HFS partition

Tried this with sd@0:5 with the same results.
If I try to do DIR on any device, I get "DIR method failed", and any
reference on any device to a partition gives me that "bad partition
number using 0" message.

Is my open firmware totally hosed? I tried Zapping the PRAM, no luck.

I'll try with a dos floppy next. Any idea how to create one of these
from a NetBSD or Linux Machine?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Louis