Subject: Re: boot crash with GENERIC
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@pobox.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/12/2003 08:38:59
At 01:59 AM 2/12/2003, Monroe Williams wrote:
>on 2/11/03 1:34 PM, Emmanuel Dreyfus at manu@netbsd.org wrote:
>
> > Anyone has seen that one, or is it only at mine? I get it with latest
> > GENERIC kernel from releng.netbsd.org
> >
> > total memory = 65536 KB
> > avail memory = 51684 KB
> > using 844 buffers containing 3376 KB of memory
> > no active packagepanic: no cpu node
> > Stopped in pid 0.1 (swapper) at cpu_Debugger+0x10:      lwz     r0, r1,
> > 0x14
> > db> trace
> > 0x005e75b0: at panic+18c
> > 0x005e7670: at calc_delayconst+f4
> > 0x005e76b0: at cpu_configure+10
> > 0x005e76c0: at configure+54
> > 0x005e76d0: at main+4d8
> > 0x005e7730: at __start+98
>
>I get exactly the same thing from a GENERIC kernel built with source
>retrieved from anon CVS the last several days.
>
>It might be relevant that this is on an OF 1.0.5 machine.

Did it generic boot before?  Can I get a copy of your of your OFW tree?

>Kernels with my usual -current config are even worse -- they get part-way
>through the second-stage boot loader counts and die with
>
>DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700
>
>I haven't yet narrowed down what the difference between these two is, but my
>config isn't that far from GENERIC.  Perhaps the size of the kernel -- mine
>are a bit bigger.  Actually, I just noticed that the bad ones are over 5MB.
>Hmmm...

Note that ofwboot starts at 6MB and given the 1MB starting addressing,
anything over 5MB is bad news.  You can rebuild ofwboot use a larger address.

>I still have a copy of the source tree from sometime before the big CVS
>repository rearrangement sitting around, and I can boot kernels built from
>it just fine.  (They come out labelled "NetBSD 1.6K" if that means
>anything...)

Oh.  If your kernels have pseudo-device openfirm, grab
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/matt/ofdump.c and then compile
and run it as ofdump -l and send me the output.