Subject: Re: boot crash with GENERIC
To: Monroe Williams <>
From: Matt Thomas <>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/12/2003 08:38:59
At 01:59 AM 2/12/2003, Monroe Williams wrote:
>on 2/11/03 1:34 PM, Emmanuel Dreyfus at wrote:
> > Anyone has seen that one, or is it only at mine? I get it with latest
> > GENERIC kernel from
> >
> > total memory = 65536 KB
> > avail memory = 51684 KB
> > using 844 buffers containing 3376 KB of memory
> > no active packagepanic: no cpu node
> > Stopped in pid 0.1 (swapper) at cpu_Debugger+0x10:      lwz     r0, r1,
> > 0x14
> > db> trace
> > 0x005e75b0: at panic+18c
> > 0x005e7670: at calc_delayconst+f4
> > 0x005e76b0: at cpu_configure+10
> > 0x005e76c0: at configure+54
> > 0x005e76d0: at main+4d8
> > 0x005e7730: at __start+98
>I get exactly the same thing from a GENERIC kernel built with source
>retrieved from anon CVS the last several days.
>It might be relevant that this is on an OF 1.0.5 machine.

Did it generic boot before?  Can I get a copy of your of your OFW tree?

>Kernels with my usual -current config are even worse -- they get part-way
>through the second-stage boot loader counts and die with
>DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700
>I haven't yet narrowed down what the difference between these two is, but my
>config isn't that far from GENERIC.  Perhaps the size of the kernel -- mine
>are a bit bigger.  Actually, I just noticed that the bad ones are over 5MB.

Note that ofwboot starts at 6MB and given the 1MB starting addressing,
anything over 5MB is bad news.  You can rebuild ofwboot use a larger address.

>I still have a copy of the source tree from sometime before the big CVS
>repository rearrangement sitting around, and I can boot kernels built from
>it just fine.  (They come out labelled "NetBSD 1.6K" if that means

Oh.  If your kernels have pseudo-device openfirm, grab and then compile
and run it as ofdump -l and send me the output.

Matt Thomas               Internet:
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL: