Subject: Re: ACARD,6260 (Sonnet Tempo Ultra 66) Boot command?
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <daniell@trillian.beachbash.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/31/2003 21:25:48
Just to get into the january archive and to keep people posted as to my
install difficultly  here's where I'm still having trouble:
After burning the ISO yet again, it worked, potentially due to different
media.  Now I don't need a floppy to boot, and can partition0 boot the CD
with:
boot scsi-int/sd@3:0 <KERNEL>
The install process seg faulted when it got to running installboot.
I ran installboot by hand.  Mostly it complained or seg-faulted.  So I
went ant issued a:
#installboot -v -c /dev/rwd0a
File System:		/dev/rwd0a
File System Type:	ffs (blocksize 4096, need swap0)
Primary bootstrap:	(to be cleared)
Clearing boot block
#installboot -v /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot
File System:		/dev/rwd0a
File System Type:	ffs (blocksize 4096, need swap 0)
Primary bootstrap:	/usr/mdec/bootxx
Secondary bootstrap:	/boot
Bootstrap start sector:	4
Bootstrap byte count:	1764
Bootstrap block table:	118 entries of 6096 bytes available, 15 used: 1264
1272 1280 1288 1296 1304 1312 1320 1328 1336 1344 1352 1368 1376 1384
Writing Bootstrap
#

Now I would have thought this would do the trick, but I still can't boot
off the disk.

So I thought I'd try booting off the official 'ISO',
which led to attempts like:
boot scsi-int/sd@3:0 /macppc/binary/kernel/netbsd-generic.gz
This doesn't work, in fact the only kernel that it loads happily is the
one in the root directory (netbsd.macppc) which is an MD type.
So I tried passint it a root device setting.
Because I couldn't find out what the kernel flags are (I annecdotally go
-s -a and something like -d) I just tried (at ofwboot.xcf's boot prompt)
netbsd.macppc -r wd0a   ; as well as ; netbsd.macppc -r=wd0a
This lead to a symbol table error and dropped me into the debugger (I
presume) at a db> prompt.

Anyway, if someone knows what I might be doing wrong, where I can find out
about kernel boot flags, or what should work for an 8500 with an ACARD
ATA66 controller, please do tell.

And it would really be nice if that installboot DIDN'T seg fault.

For now, I might go with the suggestion of Matt Thomas to put an ISO9660
partition near the start of the disk for booting from.  That would avoid
any partition 0 problem I'm having.

-Daniel

 On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 daniell@trillian.beachbash.net wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm writing to ask if anyone has successfully booted using the
> partition 0 method from an IDE drive connected to the Sonnet Tempo Ultra
> 66 (ACARD 6260 [ATP860]), and if so, what open firmware command was
> issued.
>
> My dev /bandit ls shows:
> ACARD,6260@E
> which in turn shows