Subject: Re: Anyone using an PCI IDE card?
To: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/31/2003 14:33:58
Hi,

> Does anyone know a "good" PCI IDE card that works with macppc. I don't
> need to boot off it. I'll do that from a SCSI drive.
>
> I've been thinking about buying an ATA133 or ATA100 IDE card to connect
> cheap IDE drives for storage, while the system will be on SCSI RAID
> drives.

That what I did, too. I tried each of an ATA-66, an ATA-100, and an
ATA-133 card, but the ATA-133 card support was only in -current. The only
time I had an issue with the ATA-133 card was when I tried to use both
drives, each on its own channel, at the same time. I'd see a lot of missed
interrupt messages, then if the traffic was too heavy for too long, the
system would hang. It was completely fine when using one drive at a time.

Eventually I just moved the two 120 gig drives to SCSI-IDE convertors as I
don't like the flakyness of IDE. I don't mind it for home, but not for a
production server.

John Klos