Subject: Re: NetBSD on ANS 700 ?
To: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
From: Michael Bartosh <mbartosh@4am-media.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/30/2003 06:37:00
On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 04:40 AM, Daniel Eggert wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I wrote the pdf-guide. I'd be more than mappy to help you get things
> going.
>
> On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 07:02AM, Michael Bartosh
> <mbartosh@4am-media.com> wrote:
>
>> Several months ago (oct) I attempted to install NetBSD on my ANS 700,
>> according to a pdf I found online.
>>
>> I tried again today- with newly downloaded cd images
>> (http://kelvin.macvaerk.dtu.dk/ans/)
>>
>> but i'm still getting:
>>
>> bad partition number, using CLAIM0 failed
>>
>> ..when I try to boot the cd.
>
> OK. First of all: The message 'bad partition number, using 0' is ok.
> It just tells you, that Open firmware will use partition 0 to boot
> from, which is what you want anyway. The bad thing is the 'CLAIM
> failed' message (the two messages are printed without space between
> them). Whenever you get a 'CLAIM failed' message, you need to reboot
> the ANS (press the reset button twice to skip the lengthy RAM check).

I've rebooted several (?20) times. I can't dir the (HFS) NetBSD cd,
either, although I can dir and occasionally boot from yours.

> I suppose you're using an external CD-ROM drive. Yes?

No. I don't have one.

> Are you using a serial console? You need to. If you use a keyboard and
> monitor connected to the ANS things won't work. Check section 3.2 on
> page 6-7.

I'm using a serial console.

> I'm using the macppc NetBSD 1.5.2 Image to boot from. I put it into
> the CD-ROM drive and enter
>     boot scsi/sd@3:,\ofwboot.xcf

Hm- what OF version are you running?

> This will load the boot-loader. I get a prompt
>     Boot:
> This is the time to swap CD's.
>
>> Nothing special here- I even took out my RAID card in order to make
>> things simpler.
>
> There's no need to take out the card. You need to use an external
> CD-ROM drive, and the RAID card won't make ny change then.

I really don't care so much about the RAID. If I can get this one
running I might try to install with RAID on my other one.

>> That said- the funny thing is, sometimes I can actually boot the mlx
>> image. Usually, I get to boot:, type netbsd.gz, and it kernel panics.
>> Is this due to the fact that the mlx cdrom is ISO ? (contrary to the
>> ppf, I have to use ISO filenames- OFWBOOT.XCF;1, etc).
>
> Try to paste the complete output into the mail. This will certainly
> help.

if I try ofwboot.xcf:

unrecognized Client Formstate program not valid

If I try OFWBOOT.XCF;1, sometimes I get to

Boot:

maybe 1 time in 50, it will be able to boot the NETBSD.GZ;1 file. Other
times it kernel panics or just hangs at:

508020+128984 [95200+75627]=0x58a13c
  start=8x00000

(yes, my real-base and load base are set appropriately

This is all from your CD. All I ever get from the NetBSD (1.6) CD is:

bad partition number, using 0DEFAULT CATCH! , code=FF00400

...and then, subsequently:

using 0CLAIM FAILED

<reboot, repeat>

Using 1.5.2, i get the same thing.

> Maybe you're right about the ISO-names... I didn't check that.
>
>> ...of course, now that I try again, all boots are failing with:

I haven't been able to repeat that error.

> As said above. Once you get a 'CLAIM failed' _nothing_ will work until
> you've rebooted the ANS.

Thanks for your help thus far. The only thing I'm not doing is using an
external cdrom. Since I've taken the RAID card out of the picture, that
shouldn't be an issue. I don't understand why I can dirr and (sometime)
boot your disk, but not the NetBSD disk.