Subject: Re: NetBSD on iBook (Dec 2002, NewWorld)
To: Matthias Kretschmer <mccratch@gmx.net>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/28/2003 09:21:41
"Matthias Kretschmer" <mccratch@gmx.net> writes:

> > Power management pretty much consists of CPU temperature measurement,
> > battery/line measurement, and disk spindown. There's no sleep/suspend or
> > screen dimming/blanking.
> >

> what's meant with temperature measurement? I searched the sources but
> didn't found any clue about it? How is it possible to read out temperature
> data on netbsd/macppc, if possible?

If you have a macppc box with a G3 (G3 only; the temperature sensors
don't exist on earlier processors and exist but are documented to not
work on the G4), the 'envstat' command will report the CPU's internal
temperature.

I know that the iBook, at least, has a couple of motherboard thermal
sensors as well, and I've tried to read those but haven't succeeded
yet (the i2c interface to them is kind of annoying).

        - Nathan