Subject: problem booting a compiled kernel
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Doug Melton <joeblow969@hotmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/25/2003 12:34:43
Hello, I have a Powerbook 3400c, and I just compiled and installed the
NetBSD 1.6 GENERIC kernel. But then when I booted, the computer froze. These
are the lines that it showed when booting my self-compiled GENERIC kernel:

 mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: 603ev (Revision 2.1), ID 0
cpu0: HID0 90c000 <DOZE, DPM, ICE, DCE>
cpu0: Ohare L2 cache enabled

(and this is where it froze).

When booting with the standard kernel, it displayed those lines and then
the line after that was:

bandit0 at mainbus0
[etc...]

so I am assuming that something between the L2 cache line and the bandit0
line it didn't like. However, it's odd that the kernel that I compiled does
not behave the same as the original. Do the order of the lines in the
/sys/arch/macppc/conf/GENERIC file have anything to do with the order these
lines
 appear in the boot sequence? If so, I don't see anything between the "cpu*"
 line and the "bandit*" line... Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Doug Melton