Subject: Re: NetBSD on iBook (Dec 2002, NewWorld)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Kretschmer <mccratch@gmx.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/23/2003 21:09:40
On 2003-01-23 at 03:57:09 (+0100), Carlos A. Paramio wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:03:35PM -0500, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> > Power management pretty much consists of CPU temperature measurement,
> > battery/line measurement, and disk spindown. There's no sleep/suspend
> > or screen dimming/blanking.
>
> OK... sleep/suspend possibilities are not as important as the others
> for me, but it would be good.

If this iBook utilizes the 750FX G3 cpu produced by IBM, like the ones
in the previous iBook from 2002, then there is even possible to reduce
cpu-frequency without much work. This is just done in 3 lines of
assembler code. Mac OS X even shuts down some part of (or the whole???)
branch unit which causes less power consumption. I played a bit with it
on netbsd 1.6 - it works very well, it's even possible to switch
cpu-frequency in the running system. But I don't know if there are some
timers which will get confused by this or don't work properly then.
Don't run it primary.

But I have another question:
Someone tried to get X11 working on iBook early/summer 2002 with Radeon
Mobility LY (M6)? I had problems with it trying to get XF4.x running.
Tested from cvs xsrc, cvs xfree86, some prebuild driver posted to this
list. The best result I got was the 1024x768 resolution streched, so
that only a part (around 80%) was shown (looked like the driver is
thinking there is a 1280x960 or something display connected). So the
screen looks very ugly, because it is scaled and I don't see anything.
Someone knows some good solution for this?

--
Gruss
  Matthias Kretschmer