Subject: Re: NetBSD on iBook (Dec 2002, NewWorld)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Carlos A. Paramio <carlosparamio@ono.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/23/2003 15:57:09
--DocE+STaALJfprDB

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:03:35PM -0500, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Power management pretty much consists of CPU temperature measurement,
> battery/line measurement, and disk spindown. There's no sleep/suspend
> or screen dimming/blanking.

OK... sleep/suspend possibilities are not as important as the others
for me, but it would be good.

> The modem on older models can be made to work with a patch. Newer
> models appear to have a software-DSP modem that we don't support.

I expect that. No problem because all my "outworld" connections are
through ethernet (and wireless in a near future).

> Audio doesn't work. The information is out there, more or less, but
> nobody's written the driver. I've been using a Griffin iMic when I
> really needed audio.

That's a real problem for me! However, I'll try to install NetBSD
so I can test it, now I know almost devices are supported. Is it really
difficult to write a driver for NetBSD, for a person who has a good C
level and computer science knowledges? I never tried to make one, of
course! :-)
I suppose a lot of documentation about NetBSD kernel structure
and the device itself must be readed.

Thaks for your help,
--=20
Carlos A. Paramio