Subject: missing symbol table error for netbsd 1.6 install iso
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <daniell@trillian.beachbash.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/20/2003 23:56:15
I've run into a number of problems using the 1.6 iso for my powermac 8500
(ofw 1.0.5)

The first is that
boot scsi-int/sd@3:0 prints DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700
everytime.  This is regardless of whether the nvramrc patches are used or
not, and I've tried burning the CD a few times just in case.
boot scsi-int/sd@3,\OFWBOOT.XCF prints can't load (because its hybrid)

When OFWBOOT.XCF is on an msdos floppy, I can boot it fine,
but then loading
scsi-int/sd@3,/NETBSD.MACPPC
starts, and appears to finish but only prints:
console keyboard type: ADB
[netbsd ELF symbol table not valid]
[no symbol table formats found]
  and it hangs there

I have set real and load base to F00000 and 600000

Putting netbsd.INSTALL.gz onto an msdos floppy as netbsd.gz
resulted similarly in a hang, but in this case it only output:
console keyboard type: ADB

The netbsd boot floppy booted well, but I'm having problems with booting
the resulting install (as you may have read in my other post)

Net booting didn't work, although in (non-ofw) trials I could get the
files from tftp and a DHCP response, my ofw couldn't get a DCHP response
(it claimed)

I havn't gotten to try a plain ISO9660 CD yet.

clearly hfs booting won't work due to the early nature of the firmware.

Its been such a painful 20 odd hours trying to get this going.
-Daniel