Subject: ACARD,6260 (Sonnet Tempo Ultra 66) Boot command?
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <daniell@trillian.beachbash.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/20/2003 21:13:26
Hi,
  I'm writing to ask if anyone has successfully booted using the
partition 0 method from an IDE drive connected to the Sonnet Tempo Ultra
66 (ACARD 6260 [ATP860]), and if so, what open firmware command was
issued.

My dev /bandit ls shows:
ACARD,6260@E
which in turn shows
disk@0,0

I've only seen posts where people with this card have ACARD,6260/sd@0:0
but mine seems to be asking to be addressed as /bandit/ACARD,6260/disk@0:0
the .properties of the dev disk shows that it has sd compatibility.
Just to be sure I have tried addressing it as sd. (but that device really
doesn't exist).

My issue here is that after quite some wrangling to get NetBSD 1.6-release
installed on the drive and getting installboot to not segfault, When I
issue boot /bandit/ACARD,6260/disk@0:0
I get, after a pause,
can't OPEN /bandit/ACARD,6260/disk@0:0
this pause only occurs on the first reference to disk, and any reissue of
the command results in an instant response of no.
open is one of the words in the device's words.

Furthermore, I've tried just loading the ofwboot.xcf off an msdos floppy
(which works) and then adressing the /bandit/ACARD,6260/disk@0:x,/netbsd
kernel, where x is a guess between 0 and 20.
This also pauses a bit and then writes that there is no such device or
file.

I have open firmware 1.0.5 (PM8500) and have tried it both patched and
unpatched.
I seem to have firmware 3.21 on the card (from ACARD.com)

Because my internal scsi drive is chock full of bad blocks I don't want to
and possibly can't make it my boot device; I'm supposing that I might make
an ISO9660 disk with the generic kernel on it and pass it the root path.
The netbsd boot floppy worked for running the installer (mostly) but I
can't seem to actually boot off the official netbsd "iso" either.

Hopefully someone can easily see what I'm doing wrong before I start a
whole new change of plans and spend another 20 fruitless hours at this.

thanks,
-Daniel