Subject: Problem with mouse and X on PowerMac4400
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ralf_H=F6ling?= <ralf@hoeling.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/19/2003 19:43:42
Hi,
I'm new to Unix/BSD and no native english speaker.
I recently installed NetBSD 1.6 from CD via bootvars without problems.
Changing the keyboard-layout to german is not possible, but that is no
problem. Then I tried to start X and it worked, but the mouse doesn't
work and the monitor-resolution is about 640x480 so I can't work.
Now I tried to find /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.eg, but it doesn't
exist. So I loaded an example from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/X-4.2.0-current/ , edited
it fitting to my needs, as far as I know and put it into /etc because
there is no /etc/X11/. After rebooting everything was the same.
Next step was to compile a new kernel with `options INSECURE' but that
also didn't change anything.
So I fetched a new XF86 4.2.0 package and installed it. The result was
that X didn't start at all anymore.
Then I reinstalled NetBSD completely and now everything is like before.
Now, here are my questions:
1. What am I doing wrong, that NetBSD doesn't recognise my mouse?
2. What kind of X-Installation is within the NetBSD-1.6 install-iso-cd?
3. Where can I get any tools for changing my X-configuration (xf86cfg,
xf86config and XF86Setup is not installed)
My hardware:
PowerMacintosh 4400 160 Mhz, 98MB Ram
Apple adb-keybord and -mouse
NetBSD installed on an external SCSI-Device (2GB)

Thanks for Your help

Ralf