Subject: Various Quicksilver 2002 questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: m. kolb <muk@msu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/10/2003 10:46:58
Hey guys.

i installed netbsd 1.6 from the wasabi distro a couple of weeks ago,
onto my g4 quicksilver 2002.

the machine is working well, but i'm using it as my desktop, and i'd
like to get some things working "better."

right now i've updated to -current, and I'm using Xmacppc.  i'd like
to switch to XFree, but i've had very poor luck with it.  i've tried
the distro from the netbsd ftp site, i've tried the newest snapshot
from the XFree site also, both to no avail.

i end up with this in my XFree86.0.log
Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: could not mmap screen [s=80000,a=90000000] (Invalid
argument)

i've found refrences to this in the archives, but the suggestions
of making this error non-fatal do not seem to help me.

the video card in the machine is an ATI radeon 7500.

any help getting x going for me would be great...note that i _did_
see alan briggs' notes about getting his stuff working on a tibook,
but i'm not sure if that's really applicable for my machine.

additionally, i'd like to get my audio going.  i have a usb isub
hooked up, and that works. however, my apple speakers are not
working.  i tried hooking up awacs in a different kernel, but
nothing doing.  there are no awacs detection messages in the
dmesg.  there is however an i2s device (which i read as the
mechanism for apple audio speakers on this machine)...
is there support for i2s?

thanks in advance for any help.

./muk

--