Subject: Problem with Making Bootable CD
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/14/2002 22:04:48
I am working on making a bootable NetBSD-1.6_STABLE CD for Ben Jansen
and I am having some trouble. I built the release using ./build.sh and
that worked fine. The problem is compiling the macppcboot.raw file.
This file lives in /usr/src/distrib/cdrom/macppc_installboot/.

The first error occurs when trying to compile everything in the
directory by typing make in the above specified directory. The error
was as follows:

/usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.6_STABLE-powerpc/bin/powerpc--netbsd-
gcc -O2 -Werror -I/sys/arch -nostdinc -isystem /usr/include -o
mkmacppcboot mkmacppcboot.c
/usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.6_STABLE-powerpc/powerpc--netbsd/bin/
ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I looked for crt0.o it and the other crt* files in /usr/lib/. I was
able to solve this problem by copying all of the /usr/lib/crt* files
into /usr/src/distrib/cdrom/macppc_installboot/ where I am compiling.
That solved the above problem but now I have another problem. The file
macppcboot.raw still will not build and I get the following error:

/usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.6_STABLE-powerpc/bin/powerpc--netbsd-
gcc -O2 -Werror -I/sys/arch -nostdinc -isystem /usr/include -o
mkmacppcboot mkmacppcboot.c
/usr/src/tools/obj/tools.NetBSD-1.6_STABLE-powerpc/powerpc--netbsd/bin/
ld: cannot find -lgcc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1

Stop.

 From ld(1) I understand that the -l flag specifies a library in the
form of libgcc.a for the -lgcc flag. There is a libgcc.a in /usr/lib/.
If this is the case, why isn't it working? I really don't even know
where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

P.S. Does anyone know if
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html is up to date? That is
what I am following and if I need to do something else I would love to
know.