Subject: Re: stop-a equiv?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Derek Peschel <dpeschel@eskimo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2002 18:01:28
On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 09:42:02AM -0500, Rich Noonan wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I've always assumed stop-A was an OpenFirmware function
> on Suns.  If that's true, is there any equivelant for the OF that Apple uses?
> In particular, my 7500/OF 1.0.5 system?  I managed to hang my system up the
> other day and had to just hit the power button to get it to reboot.
> Sometimes I work on it remotely over a terminal server and can't do that.  A
> key stroke to drop into OF would do it though.

der Mouse explained the situation on Suns.  On the Mac with NetBSD, OF
stays in memory once the OS has booted, and the OS calls it for some
hardware access.  Keyboard access is handled by talking directly to
the keyboard, so OF couldn't snoop for its "stop" keystroke.

But der Mouse also mentioned ddb, the kernel debugger.  Would that work
for you?  It can sync and reboot and do other things.  On my machine,
the keystroke is control-option-escape at the console.  You might be
able to set up a keystroke that will go through your terminal server.
You should also make sure you can run ddb reliably (I discovered the
1.5 kernel needed some patches before it would work for me).

-- Derek