Subject: New Setup on a TiBook (Gigabit Ethernet)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2002 10:37:09
What I want is a 1.6-ish install that will dual-boot with MacOS X.2.

Problem 1:  the ofwboot on the iso doesn't work.  (Likewise the one
in the NetBSD-1.6/macppc/installation directory on the ftp site.)
Solved by using the one at
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-1-6/200212090000/macppc/installation/

Problem 2: the install kernel on the iso doesn't work.  It starts up,
but it gives some kind of error mounting the memory file system and
dies.  (If the exact error is important I can reproduce it.)  I see
there's a full snapshot at that releng site.  Maybe that will solve
this problem as well.

Problem 3: there have been several security advisories since 1.6 was
released.  Are the fixes already applied in the source files in the
NetBSD-release-1-6/tar-files/src directory.  I'm not adverse to
rebuilding from source if I can get started.  I have to do that
anyway if I apply the patches from the security advisories.

Possible problem 4:  I really, really, really want the patches to
make NetBSD understand the NeXT version of ffs that MacOS X uses.
Are those in 1.6, in 1.6 branch on CVS (equivalent to
NetBSD-release-1-6/tar-files/src?), or do I need to go to -current?
I'm willing to go to -current if I need to, but I'd rather get a
working snapshot if I do that.  I don't see one.