Subject: Re: Beige G3 - Unable to boot install
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: Markus W Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/12/2002 01:26:58

    Eric> At 2:02 PM -0800 12/11/02, Ben Jansen wrote:
    >> The G3 has OF 2.4 so this should work, shouldn't it?

    Eric> Nope. OF 2.4 doesn't work. Every few months somebody
    Eric> (including me) tries to get an OF 2.4 beige G3 to work, and
    Eric> asks about it on this list. I've never seen a report of
    Eric> success booting NetBSD on an OF
    Eric> 2.4 beige G3.

Hmm, mine is up and running 1.6_STABLE!

What I did:

Install OF patches via 'System Disk' as mentioned on the Model Support
page:

  http://netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#g3v2

You need an updated ofwboot.xcf version of the 1.6 branch or -current,
e. g. under

  ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-1-6/200212090000/macppc/installation/

for the 1.6 branch.

With my beige g3v2 I only managed to install netbsd via netbooting:
Install ofwboot.xcf on a tftp server, set up an approriate dhcp server
entry and a minimum nfs root for your machine. See

  http://netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/
  http://netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/intro.macppc.html

Set correct *-base OF values. With the installed OF patches you have
to specify 'boot-device' and 'boot-file' explicitly and finally type
'0 bootr' as boot command, like:

  setenv boot-device enet:,ofwboot.xcf
  setenv boot-file netbsd.GENERIC_MD.gz
  reset-all
  0 bootr

With that I had up running an install kernel/system where I could pass
through normal installation steps (using the whole disk for netbsd).

After that I set

  setenv boot-device ide/@0
  setenv boot-file netbsd
  reset-all
  0 boot r

... and my beige was/is booting/running netbsd from its local disk.

I just did not manage to get 'autoboot? true' working. For every
reboot I have to boot into OF console where I have to type '0 bootr'
manually...

Otherwise it seems to run fine.

Markus.