Subject: Re: Beige G3 - Unable to boot install
To: Ben Jansen <netbsd@kristamin.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2002 17:13:00
At 4:54 PM -0800 12/11/02, Ben Jansen wrote:
>My procedure:
>1. reset-all
>2. setenv *-base
>3. reset-all
>4. boot
>
>* load-base 660000 & real-base f00000 doesn't work. (same error at
>same place as previous message).

Lots of twisty passages all looking the same.

Now we're down to:

>>If the variations I listed don't do it then you are probably in
>>some hardware driver area.  Do you have any extra hardware or disks
>>that could be disconnected?  I seem to recall some notes on the
>>model support page that might be relevant.
>
>I had a SCSI Zip and SCSI CD-R; I disconnected both to no avail. The
>only other addition is the Rage 128 card I am using.

I don't *think* the Rage card is the issue.  What I can recall were
disk issues, but I've been paying more attention to OF1 and OF3
machines since that's what I have.

Did you install the SystemDisk patches?  Did you try removing the
SystemDisk patches?  (setenv use_nvramrc? false should be good enough
for removal.  Check my spelling of the variable.)

If you're feeling experimental, here's something to try:  format an
MS-DOS floppy and put the ofwboot and netbsd files on it (with 8.2
filenames).  Then try "dir fd:1,\".  It's well known that the floppy
doesn't work under OF, but maybe if it's an MS-DOS floppy instead of
a netbsd one. . .