Subject: Re: Beige G3 - Unable to boot install
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Ben Jansen <netbsd@kristamin.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2002 16:54:35
On Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002, at 16:15 US/Pacific, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

>> Are there different values for these I should try? I've tried
>> reset-all and doing it over, as well as running boot more than once.
>> However, subsequent boot attempts without resetting display "CLAIM
>> failed" upon attempting to load .text.
>
> Try load-base of 660000, 650000, or default, and/or real-base of
> e00000, or default ("set-default real-base").  If you have really done
> exactly what MW said to do in the installation instructions then we
> are kind of guessing.

My procedure:
1. reset-all
2. setenv *-base
3. reset-all
4. boot

* load-base 660000 & real-base f00000 doesn't work. (same error at same
place as previous message).
* load-base 660000 & real-base e00000 doesn't work. (same error, same
place)
* load-base 660000 & real-base default doesn't work (same error, same
place)
* load-base 650000 & real-base f00000 doesn't work (same error, same
place)
* load-base 650000 & real-base e00000 doesn't work (same error, same
place)
* load-base 650000 & real-base default doesn't work (same error, same
place)
* load-base default & real-base f00000 doesn't work (same error, same
place)
* load-base default & real-base e00000 doesn't work (same error, same
place)
* load-base default & real-base default doesn't work (same error, same
place)

> Please report exactly what does and doesn't work (like you just did).
> It's good to track these things.
>
> This is OF 2.4?

Yep.

> Good luck!  You're really close.  If it does boot then the rest of the
> install should be routine.

Thanks, and I hope so :-)

> If the variations I listed don't do it then you are probably in some
> hardware driver area.  Do you have any extra hardware or disks that
> could be disconnected?  I seem to recall some notes on the model
> support page that might be relevant.

I had a SCSI Zip and SCSI CD-R; I disconnected both to no avail. The
only other addition is the Rage 128 card I am using.

Thanks,
	Ben