Subject: Re: Beige G3 - Unable to boot install
To: Ben Jansen <netbsd@kristamin.com>
From: Christopher Tribo <t1345@hopi.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2002 18:29:21
On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Ben Jansen wrote:

> I've searched the archives, read FAQs, etc. but nothing has helped me
> get into the NetBSD installation.
>
> I'm using a Beige G3 MT, Rev B (the Rage Pro chipset). It actually has
> a Rage 128 card in it which I'm using, as well as a Zip and SCSI CD
> burner. The stock IDE HD has been replaced by a WDC 120 gig.
>
> boot fd:0 with the NetBSD floppy inserted seems to almost work, but
> then prints "CLAIM failed". I have modified load-base and real-base as
> instructed.

	Floppy disk booting in OFW does not work in OF 2.4

> The two hard drives I tried were even less helpful. OF says it can't
> get to them at all (unable to open idex/disk@0:n,\ofwboot.xcf); I also
> can't dir them.

	You're not trying to open ofwboot.xcf. You can't have a separate
partition and dual boot on the same disk with OF less than 3.

	You won't be able to unless they are MSDOS, OpenFirmware doesn't
understand HFS or NetBSD partitions. Only OF 3.x machines can handle HFS.

> The CD-ROM method seems to be the most promising, if I can call it
> that. It says "loader: unrecognized client program format state not
> valid". The G3 has OF 2.4 so this should work, shouldn't it? Or do I
> need to create a different type of CD? I used the macppc.iso supplied
> by NetBSD.

	On my 2.0f1 Machine, I have to

Run startup disk from OS 9.x 10.x (to get the latest system disk nvram
patches)
boot to OF, change real-base to F00000, load-base to 600000
change boot-device to ide1/@0:0 (for CDROM)
change boot-file to ofwboot.xcf
change auto-boot? to false if desired
reset-all
type boot by itself.
at ofwboot prompt type boot netbsd.macppc

run the install, shutdown -h now

change boot-device to ide0/@0:0
change boot-file to nothing
reset-all