Subject: Beige G3 - Unable to boot install
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Jansen <netbsd@kristamin.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2002 14:02:52
Hello,

I've searched the archives, read FAQs, etc. but nothing has helped me
get into the NetBSD installation.

I'm using a Beige G3 MT, Rev B (the Rage Pro chipset). It actually has
a Rage 128 card in it which I'm using, as well as a Zip and SCSI CD
burner. The stock IDE HD has been replaced by a WDC 120 gig.

I've tried floppy, NetBSD official CD-ROM, and HFS off two different
hard drives. None of these methods work.

boot fd:0 with the NetBSD floppy inserted seems to almost work, but
then prints "CLAIM failed". I have modified load-base and real-base as
instructed.

The two hard drives I tried were even less helpful. OF says it can't
get to them at all (unable to open idex/disk@0:n,\ofwboot.xcf); I also
can't dir them.

The CD-ROM method seems to be the most promising, if I can call it
that. It says "loader: unrecognized client program format state not
valid". The G3 has OF 2.4 so this should work, shouldn't it? Or do I
need to create a different type of CD? I used the macppc.iso supplied
by NetBSD.

Thanks for your help,
	Ben Jansen