Subject: boot troubles on Quicksilver G4 733
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sean McGovern <sean@sfarc.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/10/2002 22:23:06
Dear listmembers,

		I am hoping someone can assist me in getting NetBSD 1.6 to boot on my
machine. I have been trying to get it booting from an Adaptec
PowerDomain 2930 SCSI controller.

		My understanding of OpenFirmware doesn't go much further than what's
documented in the FAQ and what is in the list archives.

		The operating system installation from the ISO went fine. My 1.2GB
Quantum Fireball SCSI drive was seen as sd0.

		I have a 2nd machine, a FreeBSD 4.7 (i386) box running tftp for the
ofwboot.xcf bootloader.

		According to devalias, my 2930 controller sits at
/pci@f2000000/ADPT,2930CU@15 and it seems to have both a /tape and
/disk sub-object (is this referred to as a 'child' in OF-speak?)

		Booting with:
			0> boot enet:0,\ofwboot.xcf -a

		seems to at least run the bootloader OK. At the boot: prompt, since
my installation was to a fresh drive on ID 0 that had no other
partitions, I attempted to give it
/pci@f2000000/ADPT,2930CU@15/disk@0:2 (my understanding from pdisk in
OS X is that the NetBSD partition was #2) which gave me: 'No such file
or directory'

		Is my logic wrong? Booting with the install CD and mounting the
partition shows the files as being there.

		Has anyone managed to get an OF 3 box booting from a 2930? Any tips
would be much appreciated.

Sean McGovern		|  "The day my dream became endless...
mailto:sean@sfarc.net	| I wonder when it was?" -- Kanon